Saturday, October 5, 2013


Don Kingfisher Campbell

ETERNAL EPITAPH

You are a ghoul
in the graveyard
of my past life
 
The siren who took my soul
with magic potion lips
and black cat sounds
 
Am I being an ogre
to remind you of the spell
that once spooked both our spirits
 
We were like bats
fluttering above the zombies
soaring on a warlock’s broomstick
 
Now I'm no better than a ghost
rattling my chains to bemoan
what sank in the quicksand
 
I'd rather be an imp
putting you in an iron maiden
to revive our skeletons
 
Instead I limp along like a mutant
wishing he had his banshee back
to spin illusion again
 
But come to think of it
you actually were a witch
wearing a black widow
 
Who sank her fangs into my heart
to bleed to death my dream
we would have an afterlife
 
There is no chance of a phoenix here
because you are the phantasmal wraith
and I poisoned spider in a dungeon
 
So I guess I'll bury our chimera
which turned out to be a squonk without
a demon's chance at reincarnation
 
And carry a torch into my skull
wherein lies the specter of a relationship
like cobwebs in a catacomb

No comments:

Post a Comment